Toddlers and preschoolers are quite curious. Because of this, they often find innovative ways to get into prescription medicines, household products and plants that are poisonous. Prevention is always our main goal. By eight to nine months, it is important to have household cleaning products, household detergents and other household aids, such as dishwasher detergents, put up far out of reach of the infant. This is best done by putting them in secure spots that are both out of the reach of the child and locked to prevent access. Local hardware stores carry a wide variety of latches for cabinets, which are quite useful for the young child.
It is also important to store products in the original container. Things such as motor oil, gasoline and other outdoor products should never be left at a height a child could easily reach, nor should they be left in non-original containers, such as putting gasoline in Coke bottles.

Children assume any container that they can open is a potentially good container to hold items that they can eat or drink.

It is important to call Poison Control at 1-800-222-1222. Some poisons are more dangerous if vomited. If your child has gotten into something which you are afraid may be poisonous, do the following:

1. If possible, have the original container at hand, keeping it with you as you seek help.

2. Call Poison Control at 1-800-222-1222. If you are unable to do this, it is acceptable to call our office and have us contact Poison Control for you.

3. If your child is blue, has difficulty breathing or is lethargic, take your child immediately to the nearest emergency room. Dial 911 to summon an ambulance.

4. Remember to take the original container of the product swallowed by the child with you to the emergency room.